Chelmsford YHA Group
Children and Vulnerable Adults
CHELMSFORD & DISTRICT YHA LOCAL GROUP
Policy for Safeguarding Children and Vulnerable Adults
1. It is the policy of the Group that children and vulnerable adults who participate in the Group's activities should be protected from danger of abuse or neglect.
2. All members of the Group are expected to promote good practice in providing children and vulnerable adults with appropriate safety and protection.
3. Any child attending Group events shall be accompanied by a parent or guardian who will take responsibility for their supervision and welfare at all times.
4. Any vulnerable adult attending Group events shall be accompanied by a carer or support worker who will take responsibility for their care.
5. Where possible, sleeping accommodation should be allocated such that children share only with parent/guardian/family members. In any case, agreement should be reached before a trip to ensure all those sharing sleeping accommodation are content with the arrangements.
6. Participation in all activities is subject to their suitability for individual participants. Activity organisers can refuse to accept people who in their judgement may place themselves or the group in danger or seriously disrupt the activity, so long as a judgement is not based on assumption or prejudice.
7. Any allegation of abuse or neglect shall be taken seriously and advice sought from the appropriate authorities.
8. Concerns shall also be reported to the Group's Safety Officer who will ensure that accurate records of actions taken are maintained.
For the purposes of this policy, a child is anyone under the age of 18, and a vulnerable adult is someone of 18 years or older who is unable to care independently for themselves.
It is not our responsibility to investigate or intervene in suspected cases of abuse or ill treatment, but it is our responsibility to refer such cases to the appropriate authorities.
This policy was agreed by the Group's committee on 6th April 2022. The committee will review this policy regularly and update it if necessary.
Please send any comments on these pages to Dave Plummer